Nobody likes waking up in the morning. That is why we try to find ways to make our transit from sleeping mode to full-blown awake as pleasant as possible. We choose peaceful alarm tones, we program the snooze button five to ten times, or we even try all kinds of rituals that are supposed get us excited about waking up in the morning. In reality, not many things work.
And then there are morning people. Those strange creatures that wake up easily in the morning and are okay even before the first cup of coffee. I never understood them, and according to my circadian rhythm, I never will. However, recently I discovered something that I really enjoy waking up to. I usually sleep with my curtains closed because the sun comes up before it’s time to wake up, but that means it’s harder to wake up when I actually have to. And you need light to wake up.
Studies have shown that bright lights have a direct impact on human alertness. Doing some research on that aspect, I came across a fascinating device. It’s called a wake-up light and is a lot more pleasant than an alarm clock. I use it because I sleep with my curtains closed, but there are people who can benefit from these lights even more. I am talking about individuals who have to go to work very early in the morning, as in before the sun appears on the horizon. Believe it or not, some of the wake-up lights I found can simulate a sunrise. I can honestly say that I was left in awe.
The benefits of a wake-up light
It is not news that daylight keeps us awake during the day. There have been countless studies, and they all show about the same thing. We need light to be alert. It makes sense if you think about it. I don’t know about you, but I get very energetic during sunny days, and very sleepy when it rains. I know for a fact that this experience is quite common. So, in light of that information (pun intended,) here are the benefits of a wake-up light.
- ü A wake-up light supports the cortisol levels – cortisol is a substance that wakes us up. It’s some kind of coffee, the only difference is that it’s ‘ordered’ by the brain. The levels of cortisol are in direct connection with every person’s circadian rhythm. If you are feeling tired in the morning is because you lack the normal quantities of cortisol. It’s sometimes referred as adrenal fatigue, and it’s the body’s way to tell you that it doesn’t want to be alert due to things like stress and depression. Well, here is where a wake-up light intervenes. It will expose you to daylight when it’s not around (because it rains or because is too early,) which will help your cortisol levels reach normal levels. You will feel fresher in the morning.
- ü It will balance your melatonin levels – melatonin is also controlled by light, but unlike cortisol, it is in smaller amounts in the morning, and it peaks during the night. If you want to keep melatonin balanced, a wake-up light is ideal for the job. Supplements that contain melatonin can mess up with your hormone levels, so it’s best is you do it as naturally as possible.
- ü A wake-up light can help you fight depression or seasonal affective disorders – I mentioned it earlier as well. People tend to have lower cortisol levels when the sun doesn’t shine as much as in the summer. But since wake-up lights simulate sunlight,it can help you with that.
- ü You will get out of bed quicker – we are all aware of the useful snooze button. It’s one of our best friends sometimes. Some wake-up lights come with a snooze button as well, but you won’t feel the need to use it.It will help you get out of bed easier. But it’s not as unpleasant as with an alarm clock.
- ü You will feel more energetic when you wake up – this is strictly related to your cortisol and melatonin levels, so I am not going to repeat myself.
My personal experience with a wake-up light
As I said at the beginning of this article, I started using a wake-up light a few months back, and for me, it worked like a charm. I am no longer groggy in the morning. It modified my circadian rhythm to a point where I can actually feel okay in the morning. I was that kind of person with whom you couldn’t talk to before a cup of coffee, but now I am more relaxed. That is why I decided to share my experience. Maybe you want to improve your morning mood as well, but you don’t know how. Well, this is a great starting point.
The first thing I noticed is that I no longer go through the trauma which is the alarm clock. No matter how soothing the alarm tone was, I still jumped as if SWAT knocked down my door. That is because the sound was too all of a sudden, and I had no transition time as I have with the wake-up light.
I use both the alarm clock and the wake-up light, but the light provides a transition time. For example, I set the alarm clock for 7 o’clock, but the wake-up light starts its sunrise simulation around 6:30. It doesn’t wake me up completely, but there is a transition between sound asleep and wide awake, which works better for me.
Another thing I noticed is that I feel better in the morning. I feel well-rested, energetic, and most importantly for the people around me, I don’t have a bad mood. You can actually talk to me. I feel more positive and sometimes excited about a new day. Especially if it’s sunny outside as well. Getting out of bed is not a struggle anymore. I don’t remember when the last time I used the snooze button was, and I am never late to work anymore. I can honestly say that the wake-up light is the best thing that happened to me in a long time.
So there you have it. That is my experience with a wake-up light. I was pleasantly surprised, which is why I recommend it to everyone who has the same issue I had. I hope that it helps you overcome your problem with waking up in the morning, just like it helped me.
What are the best wake-up lights?
I had searched a little bit before I found the best wake-up light for me. Most of them have the same features, but maybe you are very specific. Chances are that you will find what you are looking for because there are hundreds of models from various manufacturers. I recommend that you first read a wake-up light review, or multiple, before making a purchase. It’s the only way you can know that a particular product suits your requirements.
Philips Wake-Up Light with Sunrise Simulation
I started with the wake-up light from Philips because this is the model I have at home. I said it once, and I will say it again, it’s the best thing that happened to me in the recent past. The people from Philips did a fantastic job with this product, and I hope that you will like it at least as much as I do.
You will wake up almost naturally every morning, and your functionality will be significantly improved. It will simulate a sunrise, so you will have that transition between sleep and awake. That means you won’t feel as angry when the alarm clock goes off. This wake-up light was developed using research on sleep and waking patterns. I always endorse a product that has a scientific base. Otherwise, it would be just a mere gimmick. This is not the case.
Although I told you about my experience, you shouldknow that the Philips Wake-Up Light with sunrise simulation is clinically proven to improve your morning routine. I assume that thousands of people went through what I went, and came out of the experience with a better mood.
This wake-up light comes with a snooze button, but I don’t even remember when the last time I used it was. It also has a beep function that will not let you oversleep, just in case you are exhausted and light means nothing to you. Although I firmly believe that this product is ideal for you, some newer models have some extra features. I am not going to give up on mine because it was quite expensive for a light, but if you can afford it, you could choose a better version. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
SumgottUS Wake-Up Light
This model is a bit more advanced, but the irony is that it’s cheaper than the previous product. Technology becomes cheaper and cheaper as time passes I guess. This one has a sunrise simulation but also features a sunset simulation. So, not only that you will transition smoothly from sleep mode to awake mode, but it will help you fall asleep if you have an issue with that. I think it’s brilliant. The brightness will start from 1% and will reach 100% when you set it.
You can control the wake-up light using a touchscreen. You can adjust the snooze button, start the sunset simulation, set natural sounds, control the FM radio (yes, it has a radio), and you can also adjust the brightness. One of the things that I like the most about this light is that it has a mood light mode with the help of which you can choose from 7 different colors, depending on your mood. You can even use it as bedside lamp if you want.
The natural sounds are an improvement from your usual alarm tones. It is better to wake up to birds singing and flowing rivers than to one of Adele’s songs. I have nothing against her, she is a great singer, but when you are groggy in the morning, everything sounds horrifying. The light can be powered by both AAA batteries (not included) and USB cable. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Vansky Wake-Up Light
This is one of the latest wake-up lights, and it brings a series of cool features. It has simulations for both sunrise and sunset, and the sound quality is like nothing you would expect from a simple light. Setting it up is easy. All you have to to is set the time you want to wake up, and the wake-up light will do the rest. It will start increasing its brightness 30 minutes before waking time. It goes from 1% to 100% in half an hour. You will wake up easily, enjoy the transition, so your mood will be improved. The alarm will sound for 2 minutes, but you have a snooze button just in case you want to sleep a little while longer.
You can choose among 6 natural sounds or the FM radio. The natural sounds include pure music, birds, waves, forest, and many others. There are also 7 available light colors, just in case you want the wake-up light to go in mood mode. It can act as an atmosphere lamp when you want it. Or you can use it asa warm light when you want to read so your eyes wouldn’t get tired.
The Vansky wake-up light can be powered by a USB cable, but it can also function using AAA batteries (not included in the package.) Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
If I didn’t have the Philips Wake-Up Light and I had to choose again, this time I would go with the SumgottUS Wake-Up Light. It is a newer generation than the Philips, so it makes sense to have cooler features. That is why I believe it to be one of the best wake-up light available.
I am very happy that such an alternative was invented. It took a while for me to find out about it, but better late than never. It actually helped me, and I can guarantee that if you choose one of the options above, your mornings will suffer a significant change. Click here to buy on Amazon
- Unbiased Report Exposes the Unanswered Questions on Daylight Alarm Clock
- The Recently Leaked Secrets to Natural Light Alarm Clock Discovered
- Getting the Best Wake up Light Alarm Clock
- The Insider Secret on Wake up Light Philips Exposed
- Things You Should Know About Sunrise Alarm Clock
- Whispered Light Alarm Clock Secrets
- A Fool’s Manual to Best Alarm Clock
- The Definitive Solution for Philips Wake up Light You Can Find Out About Today
- New Questions About Wake up Light Answered and Why You Must Read Every Word of This Report
- Here’s What I Know About Light up Clock
- A Review of Philips Alarm Clock Light
- Sad Light Alarm Clock Can Be Fun for Everyone
- Vital Pieces of Dawn Simulator Alarm Clock
- The Good, the Bad and Best Sunrise Alarm Clock
- Fraud, Deceptions, and Downright Lies About Gradual Light Alarm Clock Exposed
- The Honest to Goodness Truth on Sunrise Clock
- Philips Sunrise Alarm Clock Options
- Introducing Philips Wake up
- The Untold Story About Philips Wake up Light Alarm Clock You Must Read or Be Left Out
- The Nuiances of Lumie Alarm Clock
- Sunrise Lamp – Is it a Scam?
- The Pitfall of Philips Wake up Light Hf3520
- Brief Article Teaches You the Ins and Outs of Lumie Bodyclock and What You Should Do Today
- The Foolproof Alarm Light Strategy
- If You Read Nothing Else Today, Read This Report on Philips Alarm Clock
- What the In-Crowd Won’t Tell You About Natural Alarm Clock
- What You Have to Know About Wake up Lamp
- The Characteristics of Light Alarm
- Why People Aren’t Talking About Dawn Simulator and What You Should be Doing Today
- The Recently Leaked Secret to Alarm Clock Light Disclosed
- The Appeal of Philips Light Alarm Clock
- What Needs to be Done About Light up Alarm Clock Before You Miss Your Chance
- Who is Discussing Sad Alarm Clock and Why You Should Be Worried
- Top Alarm Clock with Light Guide!
- The Insider Secrets of Sunlight Alarm Clock Revealed